As per the Legal Services Authority Act, (Amendment Act), 2002, Permanent Lok Adalats (Public Utility Services) have been constituted at district level. Pre-litigative cases relating to Public Utility Services are decided in these Lok Adalats.
WHICH ARE PUBLIC UTILITY SERVICES ?
- Transport services for the carriage of passengers or goods by Air, Road or Water;
- Postal, Telegraph or Telephone Service;
- Supply of Power, Light or Water to the Public by any Establishment;
- System of Public conservancy or Sanitation;
- Service in Hospital or dispensary;
- Insurance Services;
- Banking Services;
- Finance Services;
- Immigration, LPG connection their supply and refill;
- Adhar Card, Ration Card, Voter Identity Card and BPL Card;
- Old age and widow pension;
- Shagun Scheme and Unemployment allowance;
- Public distribution system services;
- Education or Educational Institutions; or housing and real estate service;
- Services relating to the registration of Birth and Death;
- Services relating to the registration of Marriage and
- Services relating to the registration of Vehicles/ issuance of Driving License under the provisions of Motor Vehicle Act.
Any other services included through a Notification by the State Government, from time to time.
HOW TO FILE CASE IN PERMANENT LOK ADALAT (P.U.S.)
Cases relating to Public Utility Services can be filed through an application on plain paper before the Chairman, Permanent Lok Adalat for Public Utility Services. The pecuniary jurisdiction of the Permanent Lok Adalat is Rs. 1 Crore.
BENEFITS OF PERMANENT LOK ADALATS (P.U.S.)
- Speedy disposal of Cases.
- No Court fee is required for filing the Case.
- Award of Permanent Lok Adalat is deemed to be the decree of the
- Civil Court.
- No appeal can be filed against the award of Permanent Lok Adalat.
- Decisions are final.
Punjab Legal Services Authority has established 22 Permanent Lok Adalat (Public Utility Services) in different district Amritsar, Bathinda, Barnala, Ferozepur, Faridkot, Fazilka, Fatehgarh Sahib, Gurdaspur, Hoshiarpur, Jallandhar, Kapurthala, Ludhiana, Mansa, Moga, Patiala, Pathanakot, Rupnagar, S.A.S. Nagar (Mohali), Sangrur, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar, Sri Muktsar Sahib and Tarn Taran Sahib.