National Legal Services Authority
The National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) has been constituted under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987 to provide free Legal Services to the weaker sections of the society and to organize Lok Adalats for amicable settlement of disputes.
Hon'ble Mr. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit
Chief Justice of India & Patron-in-Chief,
National Legal Services Authority, New Delhi
Born on November 9, 1957. Enrolled as an Advocate in June, 1983. Practised in the High Court of Bombay till December, 1985. Shifted his practice to Delhi in January, 1986. Designated as Senior Advocate by the Supreme Court in April, 2004. Appeared as Amicus Curiae in many matters. Appointed Special Public Prosecutor for CBI to conduct trial in all 2G matters under the orders of the Supreme Court. Member of Supreme Court of India Legal Services Committee for two terms. Appointed Judge of the Supreme Court of India on August 13, 2014. Elevated as the Chief Justice of India w.e.f. 27.08.2022. Due to retire on November 8, 2022.
Hon'ble Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud
Executive Chairman, National Legal Services Authority, New Delhi
- Appointed Judge of the Supreme Court of India on 13 May 2016.
- Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court from 31 October 2013 until appointment to the Supreme Court.
- Judge of the Bombay High Court from 29 March 2000 until appointment as Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court. Director of Maharashtra Judicial Academy.
- Additional Solicitor General of India from 1998 until appointment as a Judge.
- Designated as Senior Advocate by the Bombay High Court in June 1998.
- Practised law at the Supreme Court of India and the Bombay High Court.
- Visiting Professor of Comparative Constitutional Law at the University of Mumbai. Visiting Professor at Oklahoma University School of Law, USA.
- Delivered lectures at the Australian National University, Harvard Law School, Yale Law School and the University of Witwatersrand, South Africa. Speaker at conferences organised by bodies of the United Nations including United Nations High Commission on Human Rights, International Labour Organisation and United Nations Environmental Program, the World Bank and Asian Development Bank.
- Obtained LLM degree and a Doctorate in Juridical Sciences (SJD) from Harvard Law School, USA.
- BA with Honours in Economics from St Stephen's College, New Delhi. LLB from Campus Law Centre, Delhi University.
Last modified date : 04/10/2022